Thursday, November 15, 2012

love, tears & inspiration


I've finally done it. I've finally written the first scene in this book that made me cry after I finished it.

NaNo is...going. I've have had some starts and stops, but mostly it's been success. There have been times when I want to pull my hair out in frustration, but then there are days when I just hit my stride and it all just falls together (like today!). I'll consider it a job well done if I can get this book finished by the end of the year. Shooting for an early March release.

So, what was I saying? Oh, yes. The tears. My main character's mother is suffering from early onset Alzheimer's and I have her sitting down with her son to discuss her wishes for him - finding love and enjoying life, etc. There's more to it than that, but I can't post it without crying again.

It's crazy. These heavy emotional scenes are so easy for me to write because I just open the document and let the emotions pour onto the page. This scene in particular is nearly word for word what I want to say to someone in real life, but can't because we're not that close anymore. Which is a shame because this person needs to hear it from someone, though it would be awkward coming from me.

So, there you have it. Carol Sharp, a woman who only exists in my imagination and in an unfinished document on my computer, made me do something I've been fighting off for over a week. I cried - over love, the lack of it and my wish to give it someone else though I'm not in the position to right now.

Ah, the life of an introvert has ups and downs. Pro: Being able to write fantastic emotion into a story and make readers feel it as much as I do. Con: The inability or difficulty of interacting with people in the real world. I suppose that's a good trade-off, if you're at least recognized for the brilliant writing that results.

No comments: