Sunday, December 23, 2007

every which way but published

I don't know why I let people make me doubt myself. (Yes, I do, but go with the lie for now.) I got a so-so review for one of my stories eons ago (though it feels recent) and I felt like I had to overhaul the thing with a pair of scissors and two handfuls of prayer beads. You know what? I don't get it. I don't really take critcism well (try not to laugh too loudly at that), but I don't really see what the reviewer says was "wrong" with it. Oh, well. Whatever. I changed a few small things, fixed a couple of typos and remembered just how much I enjoyed writing that story as I read it again today. Look for me to put Plaything back on the market, hopefully before the new year begins.

That's my one real resolution for 2008. To not only rewrite some of my stories (and lightly tweak others), but LOVE them as I do so and hopefully build a serious online presence. Or, at least, more than what I have now. I have so many unfinished stories and unwritten ideas, I hope to get most of them done and out the door before I start any major new projects. Not that I can stop myself from doing that. I'm on chapter 3 of my fantasy novel and I'm already wondering what the storyline will be for the third book in the series.

I'm also debating putting some of my novellas on multiple self-publishing sites or having them published together instead of separately. I'll have to look into that. I've never understood why some self-pub sites are not free, with the exception of the ones that promote for you. How much of a benefit is that, really? I mean, isn't the point to make money, not spend it? And what kind of writer wants to sell stories but isn't willing to put in the work to promote themselves? I guess those kinds of things are for people who don't want to get their hands dirty, talking to fans and posting and such. I know it takes time, but it's worth it in the end. As for me, I'd be doing this anyway, whether I was writing or not, so I guess I have an advantage over the ones who don't want to be bothered. I enjoy communicating, thought it may not always seem like it. LOL

Where was I going with this? Plaything. Yeah, I got a good review and a so-so "try again" review. I choose to go with the first one. Maybe some fans can tell me what they think later. I'll be putting it back up soon. Or not.

No comments: