Monday, February 12, 2007

Stevie King, I'M TRYING

Look, I'm trying.

*sigh* Oh Mr. King, over the past few years, your book, On Writing, has changed how I approach my craft. I have taken a long, hard look at my own developing writing style and applied your expertise in honing every aspect of it. I have taken your words to heart. I have TRIED to become a better writer.

I hope I am succeeding.

The only part of your advice I'm struggling with right now is consistancy. You said that a writer should try to get down a certain number of words a day. You stick to 3,000, but recommend 1,000 for those of us starting out. For a few weeks after I bought your book, I thought it was an impossible task. But in the past week or so, I can see the possibilities. I've been writing about that number almost every day and I'm amazed that I've kept it going this long. I keep thinking that if I wonder how I'm able to do it, I'll jinx myself and won't be able to do it again.

I'm just happy to be motivated right now. You and your books are part of the reason. Part of the reason I'm motivated to keep going every day, part of the reason I made the decision to become a writer in the first place.

Thank you. For helping me see that not only can I become the writer I want to be, I can enjoy it for the act itself, not just because it could potentially become a profitable career. Sometimes, I lose sight of the joy I get from writing and get caught up in what I think other people want to read. But every day I write something that makes me smile, I'm happy I chose this profession.

Or maybe, it chose me.

No comments: